Jan 5, 2008

Be Anxious for Nothing

This coming Sunday and the month of January will be a defining moment for my ministry at Trinity Presbyterian Church.

We will see if we are going to continue moving forward with God's vision to do everything we can to Grow new Christians and to do whatever it takes to Grow faithful disciples of Jesus Christ, or whether we will become a church that plateaus at the 300 member mark.

The things we decide as a church in this Defining moment will determine whether we stay a pretty good church, or whether we will do whatever it takes to become the great church that God desires not only for Trinity but all His churches.

As I've been wrestling with this and praying over this thing, I've had very little peace. I've been unable to sleep and I've been unnerved this entire time.

Until now. I was reminded of what Paul wrote in Philippians. "Rejoice in the Lord always, I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:4-7).

Did you catch that? Paul had to remind people to rejoice twice! He did that for me.

Why are we to rejoice? Because the Lord is near.

And because the Lord is near there's no reason to be anxious about anything because when we pray and lift our requests to God, God will bring to completion that which He has started.

And so for the first time in a couple of months, I am totally anxiety free. I know that God is in control and that God will take care of everything. God calls me to be faithful and then the results are in God's hands and those are some great hands to put our lives in.

God is awesome like that. God always comes through. God is good.

No comments: