Dec 29, 2011

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo...Review

I recently read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

While the book deals with some very rough issues - abuse, rape, serial murder, etc. - the story is fast paced. After the initial confusion over the names of people and places in Sweden, the book is a page turner. I finished the book in a couple of sittings.

So when the US version of the movie came out this weekend, I was pretty excited to see it.

One of my biggest curiosities was how the movie would portray the characters I had envisioned while reading the book.

I must say the main character, Lisbeth Salander, played by Rooney Mara looked very much like what I envisioned while reading the book. Rooney Mara's portrayal of Lisbeth Salander was well deserving of the kick butt heroine of the novel.

However, Daniel Craig's portrayal of Mikael Blomkvist was confusing. The thing is I Like Daniel Craig. I think Daniel Craig's portrayal of James Bond is one of my favorites. In the book Mikael Blomkvist is an economic journalist. How exciting is that? And that was my issue with Daniel Craig. He's just too tough, too kick butt, too heroic for what I pictured in my mind when reading the book.

The biggest disappointment for me though was the portrayal of Martin Vanger. Before I give the story away, let me just say he was the least believable of all the characters.

Having said all that, the movie was a pretty decent screenplay of the book. Of course, there is no way to capture all the intricacies of a novel in a 2 1/2 hour movie, but they were fair to the book.

I enjoyed the movie. Wouldn't necessarily want to see it again, but it was worth both my time and money. However, the book is a far better ride than the movie.

One other thing I need to mention about the movie is that I thought they overplayed some of the sex scenes. The story would have been fine without being as graphic and visual as they were with the sex scenes. It's Rated R rating is much deserved.

I am not sure I would watch the next version of the movie even if they were to make it.

I'm going to stick with the book. After the busyness of Christmas and New Year's, I look forward to settling down with my kindle for a day or two to read The Girl Who Played with Fire.

No comments: