Feb 10, 2010

Say What? God Wanted to Kill Moses?

"At a lodging place on the way, the Lord met Moses and was about to kill him. But Zipporah took a flint knife, cut off her son's foreskin and touched Moses' feet with it. 'Surely you are a bridegroom of blood to me,' she said. So the Lord let him alone." (Exodus 4:24-25).

Say what?

This is one of the nuttiest passages I've seen.

This little snippet is right in the middle of a conversation between God and Moses. Moses just agreed to go back to Egypt to confront the Pharaoh and God was telling him how the Pharaoh's heart would be hardened so God's glory can be demonstrated.

And then, out of nowhere, BAM! God was going to kill Moses.

But, God doesn't because Moses' wife cut off their son's foreskin and touched Moses' feet with it?!!!

What in the world is going on?!!!

And then, as if nothing happened, the bible just picks up the narrative.

Alrighty then. I have no idea what to do with this passage.

Why did God want to kill Moses? God told Moses that he would be used to deliver the Israelites.

How did the foreskin of his son touching his feet change God's mind?

Well, I wish I had answers but I don't. Just lots of questions at this point.

That's the thing about the Bible - it never ceases to amaze me.

No comments: