Oct 31, 2007

What's the Big Deal about Worship?

"I just don't feel like getting up and getting all ready to go to church this morning."

"I just don't feel like talking to anyone. I don't want to see anyone. I just want to be left alone."

"What's the big deal about Sunday? Why can't I just worship God staying home?"

Comments and sentiments like these are ones we've all had before. And it's perfectly understandable. I mean, no one's perfect and I'm sure God understands.

Right?

Wrong.

What is worship to a Christian? What is worship to a Christ-follower? Is worship something we do when we feel like it or is worship more foundational than that?

Listen, Christian. Worship is not an option. That we gather in God's house with others to worship God is not an option. This is what Christ-followers do. Worship is at the core of our identity. This may not be a very popular position to take, but it is the only position I can take as a pastor of God's word.

You see, being a Christ-follower is all about being in a relationship with God. And because we are in a relationship with God, we never cease being a Christ-follower.

Just as it would be absurd to say that I don't feel like being faithful to my wife today, it is just as absurd to say that I am not going to faithful to God today.

The corporate gathering of worship is what Christ-followers do.

Of course, there are times when we miss worship due to illness or because we're stuck in an airport somewhere. But there is never a moment when we cease to be Christ-followers. And if we are Christ-followers, than we gather for worship.

As Christ-followers, we are to spend the Lord's Day the Lord's way.

I will see you in worship on Lord's Day.

No comments: