Tony Compolo’s homemaker wife was attending a faculty gathering at the University of Pennsylvania with her husband. A sociologist confronted her with a question, “And what is it that you do, my dear?”
Here’s her reply: “I am socializing two homo sapiens in the dominant values of the Judeo Christian tradition in order that they might be instruments for the transformation of the social order into the teleologically prescribed utopia inherent in the eschaton!”
I love that! You go mom!
That’s what mothers do – they socialize homo sapiens not just intellectually or emotionally or physically, but spiritually.
What the mother is, the child usually becomes.
- Moses’ mother was as courageous as her son became.
- Samuel’s mother was fervent in her faith as her son.
- Paul said to young Timothy, “I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also” (2 Timothy 1:5).
Moms, don’t let this world tell you who you are. You shape eternal destinies.
- You heal and bind wounds and broken hearts
- You inspire dreams and encourage your children into believing that God can use them to change the world
- You show us that all things are possible, that the world can be a better place through our participation
Moms, you are incredible, wonderful, shapers of eternal destinies. Not a one of us would be here without you! You make this world a better place.
Happy Mother’s Day! We love you!