As you consider what God might have in store for you in the coming year, here are a few things to keep in mind.
1. You will never reach a vague goal. The more general the goal is, the less power it has to be a guiding force in your life.
2. You figure out the why. God will show you the how.
In order to get where you want to go, you've got to know two things: where you are, and where you want to go. If you're hazy about either of these two things, you are not likely to get anywhere.
Spend some time reflecting on where you are:
- How is my physical/emotional/spiritual/relational health?
- Where do I need improvement?
- Where am I doing well?
- Do I like who I am becoming?
Second, spend some time reflecting and praying about where God might want to take you.
- What does God want to accomplish through me?
- How has God gifted and positioned me to accomplish his will?
- What resources/partners/help will I need to accomplish his will?
- Who can help to keep me accountable?
And here's the most important part: spend time reflecting on the "why" you want to accomplish these things. Be brutally honest.
- Why do you want to be healthy?
- Why do you want to be financially stable?
- Why do you want to grow spiritually?
- Why do you want God to grow the church through you?
Once you've settled on the why questions, God will show you how he wants us to accomplish his will.
I'm going to take some time to reflect and think through these questions.
Won't you join me?