Apr 11, 2008

Need for Ministry

First, I'd like to apologize for not updating my blog. It's been incredibly busy - but that's only an excuse.

I will do my best to update these more often.

I was doing my quiet time today and came across a passage that I've read dozens, if not hundreds, of times but God showed me something that I desperately needed to hear.

Luke 9:10 And the apostles, when they had returned, told Him all that they had done. Then He took them and went aside privately into a deserted place belonging to the city called Bethsaida.

This is the passage where Jesus sends His disciples out on their first missionary journey. They came back from this to tell Jesus of all that they had done. They had their first taste of what it would be like to work for the Kingdom. They were excited and passionate to continue on their work. And Jesus does something that is so counter-intuitive.

Jesus took them aside into a deserted place. Jesus intentionally took the disciples out of the ministry environment in order that they may be ministered to.

I learned something incredibly important about my ministry. The only way we can ever do Kingdom work is when we are ministered. No one can do ministry without first and constantly being ministered.

I know this in my mind and yet I find myself constantly pouring myself into the ministry while sacrificing my need for ministry - I need to be fed. While I know this, I act and practice my faith as though I can do ministry on my own.

I prayed for forgiveness for my foolishness.

Friend, when was the last time you took your need for ministry and made intentional effort to be alone with God. You cannot do ministry without first being fed.

Take some time right now with God, His word, and spend some time to be fed by your Shepherd.

No comments: