Man's chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy Him forever.
So reads the shorter catechism.
We were created for the glory of God, and to enjoy Him forever. Tomorrow we will talk about the enjoying God forever part, but today, I'd like for us to consider what it means to live for the glory of God.
What in the world do we mean when we say the glory of God?
One of the best ways that we can understand this word is to think of the credit. All the credit be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Ghost. So when we say to our God and Father be glory for ever and ever, it means all the credit goes to God for ever and ever.
Here’s what this means in a very practical sense for you and me. Our happiness is not God’s ultimate goal, and nor should it be our goal. The goal is the glory of God. The goal is to give credit to God. This is one of the greatest truths that we can come to. Listen – it’s not about you.
- This church is not about you
- Your life is not about you
- Your money is not about you
- Your talents are not about you
- Your time is not about you
- Your marriage is not about you
- Your family is not about you
- Your community is not about you
- It’s all about returning and giving credit to God.
- It’s all about the glory of God.
It’s not about you. It’s all about giving credit to God. It's all about living for God.