Sep 8, 2010

My Reflections on the Pastor Burning the Quran

For what it's worth, here are some of my reflections about the pastor who's organizing the burning of the Quran to remember 9/11.

  • When has anger and hatred ever produced good and Godly results? Such actions never produce peace. They always foster ever greater hatred and anger. 
  • This is such a selfish act. Doesn't this pastor know what kind of pressure and danger this puts our soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq? Doesn't this pastor care about the Christians who live in Muslim dominated countries? This puts all of them in physical danger. This is such a selfish act.
  • How does this at all glorify Jesus Christ? How does this further the cause of Christ? How does this further peace? It destroys our witness.
  • This pastor and his actions are getting WAY TOO MUCH PRESS. He pastors a congregation of about 60 people. He was fired from his previous ministry under questionable circumstances. http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100908/pl_yblog_upshot/even-pastors-old-church-condemns-quran-burning
What gets me about this is that the actions of one person is impacting the testimony and witness of the Christian church. I am praying that God would change the heart of this pastor. I hope and pray that he is a praying man open to God's and direction.

But before I close this blog, the most important take away for me from this story is this: my actions, my attitudes, my life either gives credence to the glory of Jesus Christ, or my actions, my attitudes, my life discredits the glory of Jesus Christ. 

So as I express my frustration with the pastor who's planning burning the Quran, really the onus and responsibility of living in a way that glorifies Jesus is upon every one who claims to be a Christ-follower. 

May we all live in such a way that the glory of Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

teacher_deb said...

FUnny you should mention that ...Take a look at what one of my friends from the Guatemalal trip had to say...
http://www.facebook.com/jamesgarland33