Nov 26, 2010

Creatures of Habit


We are creatures of habit. 

Until recently, I was in the habit of blogging on a fairly regular basis. The blogging habit was supported by reading other blogs and books on a regular basis. It was the habit and the discipline of reading that generated the ideas for new blogs.

But in the last couple of weeks, I have not been blogging much lately. At first it was because I was in Russia and the internet connection was so spotty there that I couldn't blog. But I have been home now for over a week and I still haven't been blogging as regularly as I normally do. So what's the deal?

We are creatures of habit.

It's amazing how when you're doing something regularly, there is a rhythm and pace to the creativity and writing. But when I was taken out of the habit and the discipline of writing and reading regularly, I found it harder and harder to get back to writing.

I think there's a lesson in there about habits. Be very careful of the habits we get ourselves into. 
  • If those habits are good and character forming, keep at it because it's the regularity of that practice and habit that produces the consistency and the fruit. 
  • At the same time, if the habits are bad and life destroying, the regularity of such habits will destroy us and our lives. And the regularity of such bad habits give the habits that much more power. The sooner we are able to say "No" to sinful and negative habits the better off we will be.
  • And the more we are able to to say "No", the regularity of the denial of those habits become habit forming.
We are creatures of habit. How are you doing with your habits?

No comments: