Jun 30, 2012

The Phoenix Phenomenon - A God-thing at GA?

The Pacific Northwest is great for a lot of things:
  • The natural beauty is stunning
  • The air is pure
  • The water is clean
  • People are wonderful
  • The fresh sea food is out of this world
  • Love all the racial diversity of the city
  • Love that people here care about the earth
But there's one thing I really don't like about the Seattle Tacoma area - flying out of Seatac.

The airport is great. The airport is clean. It has a great selection of shops and restaurants.

The thing not so great is there are so few direct flights out of Seatac. Almost every time I fly out to the East Coast, unless I am flying to one of the hub cities, I am always on a connecting flight. And even on a direct flight, the flights back East take all day.

So, when I left my home for Pittsburgh yesterday, I was already not too keen on leaving at noon to arrive at Pittsburgh by 9pm. But when I got to the airport, I was given another surprise. 

My flight kept getting delayed. 

At first, it was for 30 minutes. Then an hour. Then an hour and half. And eventually so late that I would miss my connecting flight out of Chicago. 

So Southwest Airlines put me on a flight to Phoenix where I would have to wait for three hours to catch a flight to Pittsburgh. By the time we landed in Pittsburgh, it was already 12:30am. I didn't get into my hotel room until 1am. 

Ahhh, but I wasn't complaining because the last time I was rebooked through Phoenix one of the most extraordinary events took place.

I met my Ugandan friend, Pastor Jonnes Bakimi, whom I had not seen in over a decade at the Phoenix airport. It was such a gift! What an amazing sweet reunion. 

So, as I head to the 220th General Assembly of the PC(USA), I take this rebooking of flights through Phoenix as a token gesture of good things to come at the GA. Perhaps, God will do a God-thing at this year's GA!

No comments: