Aug 30, 2007

Birthing God's Dreams

If our dreams don't die, God's dreams won't get birthed.

I hate to admit how many times my dreams and my hopes and my expectations get in the way of what God is doing in the world. And you would think, that of all people, the pastor guy should have God's dreams on his heart. And I agree with you wholeheartedly.

The problem that I confess is that often times I have such a hard time separating out my dreams and my hopes from what God desires. The only way I can tell the difference is by hindsight.

Fortunately, I think I am learning how to differentiate between the two. And the more we walk the journey of faith, the more we can come to recognize the patterns of identifying God's dreams.

Honestly, I don't like some of the stuff I am discovering. God's dreams have everything to do with God's glory. And God's glory may not include me in the picture at all.
  • I think about Moses who led the people out of Israel and through the wilderness, and the guy never even got to set one foot in the promised land!
  • I think about David who was called to get everything ready for the building of the Temple. So the guy gets the architects, the timber, the gold and silver, and everything necessary for the Temple, and he never even got to see the groundbreaking.
Am I willing to follow even if I won't ever see the fruit of what God has in mind? Are you?

The glory of God will be totally worth it. The better we get at letting our dreams die, the better we will get to seeing God's dreams get birthed.

No comments: