Aug 31, 2007

I Don't Know or is it I Don't Want to Know

One of the things I get to do quite frequently is that I get to listen to people about the problems and issues they are facing in life. I find it interesting that when people are faced with difficult decisions, they often confess that they don't know what to do.

• What do you think God is saying about moving in with your girl friend? – I don’t know.
• What do you think you should do? Divorce and move on or stay and fight through the difficulties to save your marriage? – I don’t know.
• What do you think you should do about your current financial mess you find yourself in? – I don’t know.

But here’s the thing – most of the people I counsel do know what to do. It’s just that they don’t want to know.

• I know what the Bible says and I know what I should do, but what I really want to do is to move in with her.
• Getting a divorce and running away seems so much easier than having to work through all that stuff. Besides, I might have to fess up to how I’ve played a major role in how broken our marriage is.
• But, I don’t want to give up my shiny new car, my satellite tv service, my regular trips to the salon…

The choice is yours to make. We can stay exactly where we are – having to deal with the same messed up situations, dealing with the same messed up outcomes, or we can come to our senses and start doing what we already know to be the right thing to do.

No comments: