Feb 8, 2008

Nuts!

O, what a night!

Put my son (2 years old) down to bed around 10pm.

He woke up at around 11:30pm crying. He's not like that normally. So went up to his room and told him that he needed to go to sleep because everyone else was sleeping. He said okay and I went back downstairs. He then started crying again. I went back upstairs to his room, and scolded him for crying. I sternly told him that he needed to get back to sleep. But he kept crying for his mom.

My wife finally came upstairs to comfort him. She took one look at him and said, "James! Something's wrong. Look at his face!"

Kaleb was red as a lobster, his eyes were almost swollen shut, his lips were puffy and sticking out. We checked his body and he had hives breaking out all over.

Kaleb had gotten into a bowl of mixed nuts earlier in the evening. He was fine when we put him down at 10:00pm, but boy did he look weird at 11:30pm.

We immediately gave him some Benadryl and called the doctor who told us to take him to the ER.

The most amazing this is that my wife was able to notice something was wrong immediately. I hadn't noticed anything but a crying boy who didn't want to go to sleep until we turned on the lights.

That made me feel great. What the heck kind of a daddy was I? I didn't even notice until we turned on the lights. Nuts!

Well, we were in the ER until 4:00am. And it was his daddy who was with him the whole time. At least, there was some redemption for dad in the wee hours of the morning.

The moral of the story - watch out for them nuts!

No comments: