Feb 25, 2012

Looking for Fish that Tastes Like Cheeseburger

For Lent, I decided to give up beef, chicken, and pork.

In the past, I gave up all meat and that was crazy hard for me. I can confirm that I am not and will never be a vegetarian. That just isn't going to happen.

Because that was so hard, I tried giving up just beef. But that was way too easy. You can always find chicken or pork and because of that I really didn't have much of an issue giving up beef.

So this time around I am choosing to give up beef, chicken, and pork. I am sticking with fish. I am finding this to just about right. I don't like fish. I like meat. Fish is not meat...at least in my book. Fish is fish.

Also, finding fish I like is difficult. The problem is I like fish that doesn't taste fishy. I like meat tasting fish.

I just got done walking all over JFK airport in NYC looking for something to eat. There's not much fish going on in this place. I ended up eating a way overpriced fish sandwich at Wendy's. Must say, not as satisfying as a cheeseburger would have been.

So every time I long for a burger or a steak, I am reminded of how much Jesus gave up for me when he took on human form and left the glory of heaven to be rejected, crucified, and buried.

Another thing that Lent has confirmed for me is that we're really messed up people.

You see, because of my heart issues, I really don't eat that much meat to begin with. I haven't had a cheeseburger in months.

But, wouldn't you know it, as soon as I gave up beef, chicken, and pork for lent I have been craving a cheeseburger.

What's up with that? I can go months and not really miss it. But I give it up for God and now my body craves it.

And it's not just me. As I have conversations with others about this, I am not the only messed up person!

We are all messed up!

That's why we need the God of grace.

That's why we need to exercise our spiritual disciplines.

Because, left on our own, we really are our greatest weakness. 

No comments: