Nov 30, 2007

Psalm 101 Reflections

Psalm 101 describes a person who is walking with God, and more importantly, a person whom God is walking with.

We already looked at a couple of descriptions earlier - they are a people of praise, and they are ones of character and integrity.

Here are some more observations:

First, we are told the negative characteristics of whom God rejects:
  • v. 3b - The deeds of faithless men I hate; they will not cling to me.
  • v. 4 - Men of perverse heart shall be far from me; I will have nothing to do with evil.
  • v. 5 - Whoever slanders his neighbor in secret, him will i put to silence;
  • v. 5b - Whoever has haughty eyes and a proud heart, him will I not endure.
And, here are the positive characteristics of the person whom God walks with:
  • v. 6 - My eyes will be on the faithful in the land, that they may dwell with me;
  • v. 6b - He whose walk is blameless will minister to me.
  • v. 7 - No one who practices deceit will dwell in my house;
  • v. 7b - No one who speaks falsely will stand in my presence.
This is not a statement of God's love toward us, but this is a truth regarding the persons whom God uses. God's love and invitation to participate in His kingdom is extended to all, however, not all will experience God's power and grace unless we walk with God.

And this is a marvelous reminder of the life we are called to live.

No comments: