Nov 25, 2007

What Does God Want for Christmas?

Every year about this time, the whole country goes gift buying crazy. That’s the way we do things around this time of the year.

Normally, I like to go over to the Barnes and Nobles at the mall to work on my sermon. I love that place. The coffee shop is there, the book store is there, the food court is just a few steps beyond. What more could a guy want?

But I’ve made a conscious effort not to go near that place right now. It’s crawling with crazy people. And I know. My wife’s already been out there a couple of times.

She’s not one of the crazy ones. She’s confirmed that everyone’s crazy out there.

And without much thought, most of us Christ-followers follow right along getting busy making lists and making shopping trips.

That’s just the way we do things around here at this time of the year.

I am all for gift giving, because it's the one time during the year where we're forced to focus on people beyond ourselves, and I think that's good. But I wonder if we’ve ever considered, what God might want for Christmas? I wonder if that thought has even ever crossed our mind?

What do you think God might want for Christmas?

What is something God might need?

What do you think would really make the heart of God leap with joy this Christmas?

If we take this – giving God a gift for Christmas – seriously, it just might totally change how we look at Christmas. It just may totally change our lives and someone else’s life too as we consider what God might want for Christmas.

So before things get much crazier with the shopping and the making of lists, won’t you take some time to sit with God and consider what He might want for Christmas from you?

It just may make this Christmas the most wonderful Christmas ever.

Merry Christmas Jesus!

No comments: