Dec 6, 2008

What Am I Afraid Of?

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding."

God pursues us with His love and is constantly asking us "Do you trust me with your life? Do you trust that I am more than enough?"

Of course I know what the answer should be. Of course I should say, "Yes, God you are all I need. You are more than enough. I trust you with my life.".

But it's not that easy - at least if I take my words seriously.

Sure it's easy to say such things. We do it every Sunday with the songs we sing and the prayers we say. We sing songs about how, "You're all I need," "I give you my all," "I surrender all," without even blinking an eye.

But what would it really mean to trust God with everything? What would it mean to surrender all? How many of us actually do that?

For goodness sake - most people have trouble giving up watching the Cowboys on Sundays. I don't think we even have a concept of what it would mean to give God everything.

And the craziest thing about this is if we understand who God is, why so few of us actually make this commitment. If God is a God who loves us, wants what is best for us, and knows better than us, then why wouldn't we trust God with everything?

What am I afraid of?

To be honest, I don't trust God to manage my life and make me as successful as I think I can. I really think I can do a better job of making me successful.

There I said it.

And that's the whole crux of it. Our life is an the proof that we don't have a clue how to manage our lives, and yet because of sin and pride, we insist on doing things our way rather than trusting God fully with our lives.

That's the battle my friends. For me, for you, and for all Christ-followers.

And that battle will be won as we take it one day at a time. Today, I will give God my best. I will do the same tomorrow. And I am going to put together as many of these days possible.

No comments: