Jan 20, 2010

The Book of Eli - Hmmmmmmmm


Just got done watching The Book of Eli with my wife tonight.

Now, mind you, I was really looking forward to this movie. Danzel Washington is one of my favorite actors and I love action flicks. And the previews I had seen of the movie looked like there was going to be some awesome action sequences in the movie.

So here's what I think about "The Book of Eli" - I am not sure what to think about "The Book of Eli."

On the one hand, I think it's great that Hollywood would produce a movie with such strong Biblical themes. This movie has a higher view of God's word than some sermons I've heard from preachers these days.

But on the other hand, I thought the movie was boring and way too violent - and this is coming from a guy who enjoys watching action flicks.

On the one hand, I can't remember a movie where a preacher guy can get more illustrations and quotes from than this movie.

But on the other hand, the story is bizarre and and borders on the ridiculous. I particularly hated the ending because it makes no sense. I know it's only a movie, but come on! At least make it believable. If you don't want to know what happens at the end of the movie stop reading now.

How could all those people possibly have lived for more than 30 years on Alcatraz? Where did they get the food? Water? Clothes?

So at the end of the movie, I sat there in the theater really wanting to like it because I'm a Christian and a pastor. But I found myself really dissatisfied. It was as if I ate a full course meal that was totally bland and to top it off it left me totally hungry.

So there you have it. There are things I really loved about it, and at the same time, I don't think it's a very good movie. I don't want to say it was lousy. It wasn't terrible. It's just not very good.

1 comment:

Peter said...

Interesting... will have to watch it someday myself... more likely when it's out on DVD/Bluray... :( Thanks for the thoughts Pastor James.