- It's too new, like and unknown language.
- It's not melodious as the more established style.
- There are so many new songs that it is impossible to learn them all.
- This new music creates disturbances and causes people to act in an indecent and disorderly manner.
- It places too much emphasis on instrumental music rather than on godly lyrics.
- The lyrics are often worldly, even blasphemous.
- It is not needed, since preceding generations have gone to heaven without it.
- It is a contrivance to get money.
- It monopolizes the Christians' time and encourages them to stay out late.
- These new musicians are young upstarts, and some of them are lewd and loose persons.
The reasons above were adapted from a 1723 statement directed against the use of hymns!
(Bob Sorge, Exploring Worship: A Practical Guide to Praise and Worship, p.137).