And often times, when I get asked this question, the person has a specific and particular situation in mind - should I marry her? should I take this job? should I divorce him? does God want me to quit this job? etc.
I am certain that God has a plan for each and every one of our lives. I am certain that God wants what is best for us.
And in order to discover God's best for us, what I've found is that when we do those things which we know to be God's will, then the questions regarding the particular situations get answered. So what do we know to be God's will?
- Regular worship - keeping the Lord's day the Lord's way. Make sure you are in God's house to worship God on Sundays.
- Reading the Bible every day. I know that this is God's will. Make sure you've carved out some time every day to read His word. How else do we expect God to tell us His will? Are we expecting to hear an audible voice? Most often, God will speak through His word, and if we are not regularly studying God's word, we won't know what God wants for us.
- Praying everyday. I know that this is God's will. Again, how are we supposed to hear from God if we don't pray? Prayer is our connection with God. You have to set aside time to pray every day.
- Set aside time to serve and give. God never gives us new knowledge and revelation just to make us smarter. Whenever God gives us something new, it's for transformation. And faith is put to work when we serve and give. So, make sure you are serving and giving.
- Increase your commitment to the things that God is committed to. Increase your commitment of time, talents, and finances to the things that God is committed to.
- Be the best you (dad, mom, co-worker, friend, son, daughter, etc). God wants us to use our words to edify, use our time to make an impact, and use our actions to glorify God. Work on those things.
We already know what we ought to be doing. And should we be doing what we are supposed to be doing, we will be plenty busy enough. And to top it all off, we will see how God answers the particulars when we're doing things we know to be God's will.