Jul 19, 2011

Quitting Facebook


Just deactivated my Facebook account.

There's a part of me that will really miss Facebook.

  • I loved it for staying in touch with friends. Facebook really is one of the best tools for doing just that. 
  • I loved seeing the pictures of friends.
  • I loved catching up with old friends that would have been extremely difficult to find, had it not been for Facebook.
Then, why quit Facebook?

Here's the reason why I've ultimately made the decision to quit Facebook. I don't like it when FB, without my permission, keeps changing my settings. 

I've set up my account the way I want it, and then FB changes it with a new update. 
  • I never asked for the annoying ads. And because I was receiving the other benefits of FB for free, I learned to ignore and put up with the annoying ads. 
  • But with the latest update where FB continually turned on the chatting option, that was the last straw. I don't want to chat through FB. So I turned it off on my preference. But the next time I log on, there it is again.
Facebook can be a useful tool to help friends stay connected. However, Facebook can also be a huge waste of time. The problem with the live chat is that I cannot choose when I want to chat. Because it's always on, my day can be interrupted at any time. And that's when Facebook gets annoying rather than being a useful tool.

Instead of having control over what I want to do with Facebook, I found that I was being controlled by Facebook. And I don't want any part of that.

That's why I've made the decision to quit Facebook. 


3 comments:

Sharon said...

That is clear!

Katelyn said...

I've thought about deactivating my account too. But I'm too scared that I'll lose touch with people! Sad that it takes fb to help me with that? Probably! I accidentally figured out a way to permanently stay "offline" because I don't like keeping my chat open either. Just not confident I could duplicate the process!

teacher_deb said...

fb is okay but it does give many hours of "distraction". I do use it to see what my work buddies are up to in summer and on vacation times. I am annoyed by the messaging too... But, good for you being STRONG!