Jul 11, 2011

What's with the Cigarettes while Motorcycling?


Who would have thunk it?

The Pacific Northwest is a mecca for bikers.

Well, at least that is, in the summer months.

As soon as the sun peaks its head out, the motorcycles come out of the woodworks...literally.

Why not? This is one of the most beautiful places to ride.

There aren't too many months to ride in good weather so people here make the best of it when the weather is good. Riding in the rain is still riding but it's no where the fun of getting out on the bike on a sunny day.

But here's something that's a puzzlement to me.

I get the motorcycle thing.

And even though I am not a smoker, I can understand the smoking cigarettes thing.

But what is it with smoking cigarettes while riding the motorcycle thing?

First of all, I would think that the rush of air would make the cigarette last half as long. If this assumption is true, than this is a dumb thing to do as far as your pocketbook is concerned.

But more importantly, it's not a very smart thing to do if you care at all about your life. If the ash comes up the face and into the eyes...well, good luck buddy. How cool do you think you look when you're laying face down on the road all messed up?

Riding has enough hazards on its own, you don't need to create your own. This is just plain stupid.

You think you might look cool with the cigarette hanging off your mouth, but I'm thinking...well, better not print what I'm thinking.

Ride smart. Your life is in your hands.

2 comments:

Patrick said...

You're right about the cigs, James. Just not cool; however, I will say riding my bike with a Churchill Cigar is quite nice as it lasts some 45 minutes on the highway and people notice me! Ha! And, unlike cigs and our former President, I don't inhale!

Keeping the rubber side down!
Patrick

Unknown said...

Patrick, we need to get out for a ride and a meal together. Let's make it happen. Best days are Mondays for me. Let me know when you have a Monday free for a ride and meal.

James <><