Jul 16, 2011

Resembling Jesus...

In Joan Gray's recent blog (http://joansgray.wordpress.com/2011/07/15/what-if/) she cites Dallas Willard who says in his book, "Renovation of the Heart," that some Christians seem to think it is more important to be right than to be Christlike.

Right theology, worship, understanding of the Scriptures are all important precisely because right theology, worship, and understanding of Scriptures leads to Christ-like behavior.

To every single person around us, what we know about God, the rightness of our theology, how much of the Bible we have memorized, even how much we love God doesn't make one bit of difference.

To every person around us, what matters is how much we resemble Christ in the way we speak to them, the way we love them, the way we treat them, and particularly how we disagree with them.

What matters to people around us is how much we resemble Christ in how we treat them.

Church...how are we doing in the resembling Jesus department?


When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?"


"Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you."


Jesus said, "Feed my lambs."


Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?"


He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you."


Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep."


The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?"


Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you."


Jesus said, "Feed my sheep."
John 21:15-17

No comments: