Feb 10, 2009

Things I'm Learning from the Hospital Room - Lesson 1

One of the things that I get to do because of my health situation is to spend some time reflecting on things. There's not a whole lot you can do when you're stuck in a hospital room.

Here's the first lesson I've learned from the Hospital Room.

Focus Externally - The first thing that happens when one finds themselves in a situation like mine is to get focused inward. You don't even have to try. It just happens. You know you are focused inward when you start asking questions like, "Why is this happening to me?" "Why me?"

The inward focus gets you in a downward spiral of feeling sorry for yourself and angry with God because there is no one else to blame. This "Woe is me" inward focus will kill all the joy and ability to seek God's purpose.

But it's amazing when you begin focusing externally - looking at the people around you and asking determining, "God has me here in this place for a reason. There are people I am supposed to meet and bless. There is someone who needs what Jesus can offer through me."

Focusing externally, I see that there are people just right down the hallway who may not make it through the night. There are people in much worse circumstances than me.

What I'm going through is not that bad. I will be sore and hurting for a while, but the prognosis of getting well is very good because I am young and my heart is healthy. What's there to complain about.

It's amazing how focusing externally changes everything.

And here's the greatest part - I don't think you have to be in a hospital room to start feeling sorry for yourself. The "Woe is me" syndrome is everywhere. And it will rob you of joy.

Start looking beyond yourself to seek what God may have you do today.

No comments: