Oct 3, 2009

Getting Out of the Funk - Lessons Learned from Washing Dishes


Ever have those days where you feel like you're in a daze. Where you get up and you're just not motivated to do anything. Where you don't want to do the things you know you have to do, and you avoid doing the things that will be the very thing that will help you get out of the fog.

Well, I've had a week like that.

It's been tough.

Here's what I learned from washing the dishes.

One of the my duties around the house besides taking out the garbage, cleaning the toilets and the tubs, etc., is loading up the dish washer.

I found myself a few days ago in the middle of this funk. It wasn't that I had a nasty attitude. I didn't have an attitude at all. There was no passion, no hatred, no emotion. I was in a funk.

And I found myself going through the motions of preparing for the sermon, doing the dishes, and going through the activities of the week - doing everything half-hearted. And doing everything half-hearted was killing me. I don't do half-hearted very well. In fact, I don't think any one does half-hearted very well.

Half-hearted endeavors kill passion sucks the life out of everything and every one.

I hate half-hearted.

While loading up the dishes, I made the conscious decision - "I am tired of doing everything half-hearted. I am going to give my absolute best to everything I am doing. I don't want to do anything again half-hearted. Whatever I am doing, I want to give my best."

And you know what? The fog has lifted. I'm out of the funk.

And I think that's the way we all get out of the funk - we've got to live life whole-hearted. So whatever it is that you are doing right now, do it with everything you've got.

No comments: