Jun 2, 2010

Longings.....

I am an evangelical and for the most part proud of it.

  • I love the fervor and commitment to evangelism.
  • I appreciate the passion for the purity of the church.
  • I appreciate the commitment to the authority of scriptures.
But here are some things that bother me about evangelicalism in America.

It seems to me the main motivator for desiring change is because of our fear and even, dare I say it, loathsome hatred for the world. Instead of looking at the world and desiring change - even to the point of establishing God's kingdom here on earth as it is in heaven - because God loves the world, too often, we see the world in opposition to the church.

Hatred and loathsome isn't going to change the world. 

What the world ought to see in the church - the very people of God - is God's love for the world. And, perhaps when God's love is clearly manifest and demonstrated, the world might be open to being changed because of the love of God.

More than anything, I want to see God changing the world. And I pray, that I can be a part of a church who desires to change the world because God so loved the world that he gave his only Son...

No comments: